Diversity Initiative Grants
NAR’s Diversity Initiative Grant Program provides funding to state and local REALTOR® associations that seek to enhance the diversity of its membership and leadership as well as to ensure that members have a robust understanding of Fair Housing issues. In 2015, the Diversity Grant Program has several key target areas. See below for details.
Please note: References below to the Multicultural Real Estate Associations mean:
- National Association of Real Estate Brokers (NAREB)
- National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals (NAHREP)
- Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA)
Level-1 grants are intended to support the following activies. Level-1 applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and are eligible for up to $1,500. Specifically:
- Diversity or Fair Housing Training Classes: up to $1,500 towards compensating an instructor for the class. Application/Evaluation form
- Multicultural Sponsorship: up to $500 to fund the Association’s sponsorship of a local multicultural chapter event or activity. The sponsorship form for event must be submitted along with grant application to NAR. Application/Evaluation form
- Participation in national or regional meeting of the minority real estate associations: Up to $1,500 to support participation by association senior staff or elected officers ($500 per participant, max three participants, to cover registration and travel). Application/Evaluation form
Level-2 Grants (awards up to $5,000) can be for any of the following project types; application deadlines are the 15th of each month, January through October:
- Fair Housing Partnerships: As part of our communities, REALTOR® Associations can play a significant role in identifying and addressing issues that may be a barrier or challenge to achieving fair housing in the community. By working in partnership with local and state governments and private fair housing organizations, the REALTOR® Association becomes a fair housing leader and helps design solutions tailored for the local market area.
- Leading with Diversity: Multicultural Diversity is becoming the norm across the country, especially among homebuyers. Programs or activities that identify and develop multicultural leadership and the inclusion of diversity in the leadership of the Association are critically important for the future of our Association. These programs require NAR’s Leading with Diversity Workshop or similar leadership level planning for diversity in leadership.
- REALTOR® Party inclusion of Multicultural Organization chapters: Many multicultural members become active in a local chapter of one of the three national multicultural real estate organizations. Enhance REALTOR® Party activities by partnering with chapters of these organizations to implement community involvement grants, grassroots political programs and campaigns.
Grant Application and Program Guidance
- Starting in 2015, funds awarded as a Community Outreach grant will be awarded through the following reimbursement processes:
- The association will submit to NAR proof of money spent totaling the amount of the grant award
- Acceptable forms of proof of money spent include an invoice from a vendor, a signed contract with a consultant/speaker, receipts for items purchased, and cancelled checks.
- The request for reimbursement must be made within 90 days of the completion of the activity for which the grant was awarded.
- Once all documentation is received, NAR will send to the association a check in the amount of the incurred costs.
- Grants are reviewed and approved by members of NAR’s Diversity Committee.
- NAR must receive an evaluation form after your grant-funded activity before a new Diversity Grant application will be entertained.
- Level-2 grants are intended to be used as seed funding for the activity. Thus, should the applicant wish to repeat the activity in the future, it is expected that the association will fund that effort through other means.
- Diversity Grant Applications are only accepted from state and local REALTOR® associations.
- Previous Diversity Grant Recipients (Chronological sort/State sort)
- Examples of Successful Grant applications
Send your questions and completed applications to (e-mail preferred):
National Association of REALTORS®
500 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001