The Hope Awards
The Home Ownership Participation for Everyone (HOPE) Awards was a national industry awards program that recognized individuals and organizations for their outstanding contributions to increasing and sustaining minority homeownership, revitalizing communities and expanding affordable housing opportunities. The awards were created in 2001 and sunset a decade later in 2011.
The HOPE Awards were awarded every other year; winners received $10,000 and paid travel expenses. During the decade when the HOPE Awards were conferred, the program presented $370,000 to 37 winning individuals and organizations, helping thousands more minority families become homeowners.
The awards were sponsored by a partnership of real estate associations, the Asian Real Estate Association of America, Chinese American Real Estate Professionals Association, Chinese Real Estate Association of America, National Association of Hispanic Real Estate, Professionals, National Association of Real Estate Brokers® and the National Association of REALTORS®.
The HOPE Awards were presented in seven categories:
- the Education Award recognized organizations that had made an extraordinary commitment to educating minority groups about achieving or sustaining homeownership;
- the Finance Award recognized organization that helped minority groups overcome financial barriers to achieve or sustain homeownership;
- the Leadership Award honored an individual who had made significant personal contributions to helping minority groups achieve or sustain homeownership;
- the Media Award recognized organizations for its use of media (online, print, radio or television) to educate minority groups about overcoming barriers to achieve or sustain homeownership; or to contribute to greater public awareness of the disparity in homeownership rates;
- the Project Award recognized a housing project or development that increased the supply of affordable homes built and was marketed to meet the housing needs of minority groups;
- the Public Policy Award recognized an individual or organization whose public policy advocacy efforts at the local, state or federal level helped overcome barriers and increased access to or sustained minority homeownership;
- and the Real Estate Brokerage Award recognized a professional brokerage for promoting homeownership by offering a full range of real estate services to minority homebuyers, such as homebuyer education; access to financial education and counseling or safe, affordable loan products; multilingual language services and materials; or strong community partnerships.
Past HOPE Award Winners
- Education Award: Center for Homeownership - Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Forsyth County Inc., Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Finance Award: Movin' Out Inc., Madison Wis.
- Leadership Award: David Bland, Travois Inc., Kansas City, Mo.
- Media Award: eHome America, Community Ventures Corp., Lexington, Ky.
- Policy Award: Alejandro Becerra,, author and consultant, Silver Spring, Md.,
- Project Award: Home HeadQuarters Inc., Syracuse, N.Y.
- Real Estate Brokerage Award: Adamo Realty Network LLC, Miami
- Education Award: Korean Churches for Community Development, Los Angeles.
- Finance Award: Illinois Assistive Technology Program, Springfield, Ill.
- Leadership Award: Chris McCarthy, Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity, Nashville, Tenn.
- Media Award: Community Reinvestment Association of North America, Durham, N.C.
- Project Award: Affordable Homes of South Texas Inc., McAllen, Texas.
- Education Award: Umatilla Reservation Housing Authority, Pendleton, Ore.
- Finance Award: Colorado Housing Assistance Corporation, Denver.
- Leadership Award: Chickie Grayson, Enterprise Homes Inc., Baltimore.
- Project Award: Monsignor William Linder, New Community Corp., Newark, N.J.
- Public Policy Award: Father Vien The Nguyen, Mary Queen of Vietnam Church, New Orleans.
- Real Estate Brokerage Award: Berenice Gomez, Harvest Home Mortgage, Melville, N.Y.
- Education Award: Little Haiti Housing Association Inc., Miami.
- Finance Award: Partnership for Homeownership Foundation of Springfield, Ill.
- Leadership Award: Antonio Matarranz, Avangard Real Estate Services, Dallas.
- Media Award: HOMEWORDS Program, The Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles.
- Project Award: Coachella Valley Housing Coalition, Indio, Calif.
- Real Estate Brokerage Award: Allen Chiang of Presidential Real Estate Inc., Rowland, Calif.
- Education Award: Pratt Area Community Council of Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Finance Award: Mission of Peace Housing Counseling Agency of Flint, Mich.
- Leadership Award: Reverend James Dickerson of Manna Inc. of Washington, D.C.
- Project Award: Suffolk Homes by Asian Americans for Equality of New York.
- Public Policy Award: National Fair Housing Alliance of Washington, D.C.
- Real Estate Brokerage Award: Emily Moerdomo Fu of RE/MAX Greater Atlanta International, Atlanta.
2001 HOPE AWARDS WINNERS
- Education Award: Home Loan Counseling Center, Sacramento, Calif.
- Finance Award: Self-Help Credit Union, Durham, N.C.
- Leadership Award: Vincent Quayle, Ambrose Housing Aid Center, Baltimore.
- Media Award: Ark Communication, Milbrae, Calif.
- Project Award: Northeast Florida Builders Association, Jacksonville, Fla.
- Public Policy Award: Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS®, Lutherville, Md.
- Real Estate Brokerage Award: California Capital Co., Ontario, Calif.
Why We Vote