Housing Opportunity Programs for Associations
NAR has always been a leading advocate for affordable housing, supporting federal housing programs like the FHA program, Section 8 housing vouchers and the American Dream Downpayment Act. But with the growing gap between housing “haves” and “have-nots,” NAR’s leadership took the association's commitment to affordable housing a step further, and in 2002 created the Housing Opportunity Program (HOP) to encourage and facilitate greater involvement in housing opportunity by REALTORS® and REALTOR® associations.
Through the Housing Opportunity Program, REALTOR® associations can:
- Apply for funding to launch or support a housing program in your community.
- Sponsor an Employer-Assisted Housing or an Expanding Housing Opportunities class.
- Use Housing Opportunity Program Toolkits and Guides to get tips on how to run your own housing opportunity programs.
- Find housing opportunity resources specific to associations.
- Plan a forum to examine workforce housing issues in your community.
Search for resources and programs for REALTORS® on Realtor.org.
2013 Housing Pulse Survey
|The 2013 Housing Pulse Survey, which measures consumers’ attitudes and concerns about affordable housing issues, found that people overwhelmingly believe that buying a home is a good financial decision. Further, home ownership remains one of the top life priorities for people who currently rent.|
Housing Opportunity Success Stories
State and local REALTOR® Associations are utilizing tools and resources from the Housing Opportunity Program to develop innovative approaches to address a range of affordable and workforce housing issues. Here are a few examples:
Nashville REALTORS® Gather Coalition for Ground-Breaking Housing Summit
REALTORS® Launch Waterbury (CT) “Front Porch Day” with Housing Opportunity Grant
Ada County (ID) REALTORS® Bring Housing Opportunities to Life in Idaho