How to Apply for Housing Opportunity Grants
To apply for a Housing Opportunity Program Grant, review the regulations for the appropriate funding level and download the application for that level.
Level One Regulations
- Funding is available to host either an Employer-Assisted Housing or Expanding Housing Opportunities class.
- Funding is available only to local and state REALTOR® associations (other course Sponsors are not eligible to apply).
- Requests of up to $1,000 may be made; however, a lesser amount may be awarded.
- Funding request may be submitted after the Class Notification Form has been submitted. Requests sent prior to NAR's receipt of the Class Notification Form will not be considered.
- Applications cannot be submitted for a class that has already taken place.
- Applications should be submitted at least 30 days before the date of the class.
- Associations may submit only one Level 1 application per calendar year and receive a maximum of two grants, total.
Download the Level 1 Application - Complete the questions, save the file, and then email it to the address provided on the application.
Level Two Regulations
- Funding is available only to local and state REALTOR® associations.
- Requests of up to $5,000 may be made; however, a lesser amount may be awarded.
- Applications cannot be submitted for an activity that has already taken place.
- Applications cannot be submitted for an activity previously supported by a Housing Opportunity Program Grant.
- Grant awards cannot be used as a pass through of funds to another organization (e.g. a fundraiser or direct contribution).
- Activities that are complex, ongoing, involve partnerships and/or have a broad community reach tend to qualify for higher levels of funds than one-time events, such as workshops, fairs, seminars or similar activities.
- Funds that are not used within one year of receipt must be returned to NAR.
- Recipients must complete an evaluation upon the completion of the activity for which funds were received.
- Failure to complete the evaluation will cause the association to be ineligible to apply for future Housing Opportunity Program Grants.
Level 2 Funding Decisions
Level 2 applications will be reviewed by a group of leaders and members of the Housing Opportunity Committee. The group will consider the following when making funding decisions:
- Alignment with Housing Opportunity Program goal
Does the proposed activity support the goal of positioning, educating, and assisting Realtors® to create housing opportunities for all?
- Quality of the proposed activity
Is the proposed activity of high-quality with a clear purpose, well-defined action items, and measurable goals?
Does the proposed activity involve a significant level of commitment from the applicant in terms of member involvement, financial contribution, and staff time?
- Critical need
Does the applicant explain how the proposed activity will address a specific affordable housing need in the area served by the association.
Download the Level 2 Application - Complete the questions, save the file, and then email it to the address provided on the application.
Download a Tip Sheet for completing a Level 2 application.
For further information, contact:
Housing Opportunity Program Representative
National Association of REALTORS®
500 New Jersey Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001