State & Local Issues Resources
There are a variety issues proposed, promulgated and regulated at the state and local levels that affect the real estate industry. These issues include real estate transfer taxes, water rights, foreclosures, zoning ordinances, impact fees and open space requirements. NAR has developed several resources and programs for Realtor® associations to learn about and review issues that may affect their local jurisdictions and/or states, and to support any real estate interests that may be affected by these issues.
- Hot Topic Alerts: are occasional reports that highlight important trending real estate issues in state legislatures. The data contains a concise summary of information on a topic that has generated attention over the past six to twelve months. Hot Topic Alerts will include advocacy efforts of local REALTOR® associations.
- Water: An Issue Everywhere (September 2015)
- State and Local Tax Deductions (August 2015)
- Contractors: Independent or Not So Much (June 2015)
- Drones and the REALTOR® (March 2015)
- What is a Land Bank? (February 2015)
- Transportation Funding and the 2014 Election (January 2015)
- Sales Tax (September 2014)
- Appraisal Management Companies (August 2014)
- Broker Price Opinions (June 2014)
- State Mortgage Interest Deduction (April 2014)
- Subscribe to Hot Topic Alerts by Email
- State Issues Tracker: Provides analyses of the core state laws that affect real estate. Each analysis includes an executive summary, frequently asked questions on the issue, and the law in each state. (For NAR members only, login required.)
- State and Local Taxation: State governments are increasingly looking to make major changes to their tax systems. This report provides a detailed review of state and local taxation, and highlights how current tax reform efforts could have serious consequences for real estate and homeownership.
- Growth Management Fact Book: Gives state and local REALTOR® associations a better understanding of growth management initiatives and their impact on land development and property values. (For NAR members only, login required.)
- Land Use Initiative: Assists state and local REALTOR® associations in their public policy advocacy of land use issues by providing expert analysis of the legal, planning, economic, and environmental issues surrounding legislative and regulatory land use proposals. All of the analyses are available for review. (For NAR members only, login required.)
- Sales Tax on Services: Several state legislatures have considered or are currently considering expanding sales tax on services, which would have negative consequences for real estate. Expanding or switching tax policies at the state level comes largely from an assumption that the economy is moving away from a “goods” to a “service” economy. This White Paper explores the actual figures from sales tax revenue since 1997. The paper also summarizes state REALTOR association efforts to defeat these tax proposals.
- Land Bank White Paper
Vacant, abandoned, and tax-delinquent properties often become problems for a neighborhood and bring down nearby property values. One tool to address these problems and strengthen neighborhood is the Land Bank, a special entity that acquires problem properties in order to stabilize neighborhoods and repair the private market for real estate. Currently there are about 150 land banks in 23 states. This paper provides a comprehensive background of Land Banks and how they are formed.
- REALTOR® Alert - Vacant Property Registration Ordinances: This three-page guide describes how Vacant Property Registration Ordinances can raise significant property rights issues and impose liability on Realtors®. Access this resource to help prepare yourself to engage local government officials on this issue. (For NAR members only, login required.)
Why We Vote