Meetings in Cannon House Office Building’s 5th Floor
Getting to this part of Cannon is tricky as NOT all elevators reach the 5th floor. As you pass thru security, please ask a uniformed officer for the special elevators that go to the 5th floor.
Congested Entry Points for Congressional Meetings
Springtime on the Hill brings many visitors to the halls of Congress. Security lines can be long, particularly in the mornings. The most popular entrances are located on Constitution Avenue for the Senate buildings and Independence Avenue for the House buildings.
Entry alternatives include:
- On the Senate side, try the Hart Building’s horseshoe located on Second Street, NW between Constitution Avenue and C Street. Also, try the Dirksen Building’s rear entrance located at 1st and C Streets, NE.
- On the House side try entering both Longworth and Rayburn from South Capitol Street between Independence Avenue and C Street.
Remember, once you are inside one office building in the House or Senate you can connect to another through the basement hallways. This is very convenient and what we suggest. However, if you are trying to get from the Senate side to the House side or vice versa, you cannot do so by going underground. You will want to exit the building and walk outside (about 10 minutes). If you are crunched for time, please take a taxi. If you run into any navigation troubles, ask any uniformed Capitol Police officer for assistance—they are eager to help.
While we know this visit to Washington, D.C is always packed and busy, we hope you find time to enjoy some favorite restaurants of your grassroots team. Our recommendations are the following.
- Art & Soul – Great comfort food in an upscale location directly across from the Hyatt Regency (FPC Hotel) and a block away from the NAR building. (Union Station Metro stop)
- Clyde’s – with multiple locations around town, this place has something for everyone from crab cakes to burgers and can accommodate large parties without too much of a wait. We recommend the one near the NAR offices (Gallery Place/Chinatown metro stop).
- Zaytinya– This hopping Mediterranean bistro is one of Jose Andres most acclaimed restaurants in town and where Top Chef icon Mike Isabella got his start. Great outdoor patio and close to the NAR office building (Gallery Place Metro stop).
- Hill Country BBQ – Best BBQ in D.C. (Gallery Place/Chinatown metro stop)
- Cava – stop in here for a modern take on traditional Greek food. Great for small plates or larger meat options. Nice neighborhood setting at the Eastern Market Metro.
- Matchbox – artisan pizza restaurant that also serves excellent burgers, salads and other dishes. A true crown pleaser in a nice space.
- Ted’s Bulletin – Comfort food. Famous for their malt milkshakes and their homemade pop tart. (Eastern Market Metro stop)
- We the Pizza – Nice casual pizza joint for a place to eat between meetings(Eastern Market Metro stop)
Near Headquarters Hotels
- Medium Rare – This steak and fries eatery is very convenient to both headquarter hotels. Nice spot for lunch or dinner.
- Lebanese Taverna – Located less than a block from the Marriott Wardman Park and Omni Shoreham Hotels and directly across the street from the Woodley Park Metro station, this is a great spot to grab lunch between meetings.
- Open City – Tasy and affordable diner walking distance to both hotels with bright ambiance and a nice open patio space for outdoor dining.
- Ardeo/Bardeo - Perfect place to savor great wine and exquisite Modern American Cuisine (Woodley Park Metro stop).
- Ripple – Near the headquarters hotels, is as much a casual snacks spot as it is a dressy dinner destination. Grab a high-top table in the long, lean bar area and settle in for a charcuterie sampler and one of the best by-the-glass wine lists in town (Cleveland Park metro stop).
- Uptown Tap House –This is a nice place to catch a game on one of their 20 flat screen TVs and be in a handsome atmosphere at the same time. It’s also near the headquarters hotel (Cleveland Park metro stop).
Other Areas of Town
- Churchkey – This is a nice little bar also along D.C’s booming 14th Street Corridor and has about a zillion beers on tap (McPherson Square metro stop).
- Barcelona – this is a bustling wine bar/tapas place with a nice outdoor patio at the heart of Logan Circle, along 14th Street, the busiest arts and dining scene in the nation’s capital (Columbia Heights Metro Stop).
- Founding Farmers – Wonderful farm to table fare near the George Washington University campus (Foggy Bottom metro stop).
- Baked and Wired – Great baked goods in the cute Georgetown shopping district.
Though many of you are staying at various locations throughout town, information for the FPC room block hotel is below.
FPC Room Block
Liaison Capitol Hill
415 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
The Liaison is one block from the NAR building and just blocks from Senate office buildings. The closest Metro station is Union Station, which is 3 blocks away. The hotel is located at the Corner of New Jersey Avenue and D St. NW
Marriott Wardman Park
2660 Woodley Rd NW, Washington, DC 20008
The Marriott is one of two headquarter hotels and is located in the heart of D.C. near Dupont Circle, the National Zoo and Rock Creek Park. The Woodley Park/Adams Morgan Metro stop is within the same block as the hotel.
2500 Calvert St NW, Washington, DC 20008
The Omni is one of two headquarter hotels located across the street from the Marriott Warman and in one of the District's premier residential neighborhoods. The Hotel is situated on 11 lush acres just steps away from the National Zoo.
NAR Hotel Shuttle Service - Complimentary shuttle service is provided between the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, Omni Shoreham Hotel and Washington Hilton via mini coaches. Look for vehicles marked "NAR Shuttle" on the front window. This will be helpful when you are attending your Lobbyists Prep Salons if you are in a rush to get back to either headquarter hotel.
Hotel Boarding Points:
- Marriott Wardman Park Hotel: 24th Street Entrance
- Omni Shoreham Hotel: Parkview Entrance
- Washington Hilton Hotel: Terrace Level, T Street Entrance
Why We Vote